WHITLEY COURT, WORCESTERSHIRE

Grid Ref: SO 768 649
Dates: 19 April 2013

 

Whitley Court in Worcestershire is a magnificent ruin in a spectacular park. The house was built in the 18th and 19th centuries, reaching its peak in the 1850s after extensive modification by the 1st Earl of Dudley. It was destroyed by fire in 1937. It is now in the care of English Heritage. There are walks in the park with superb views of the gardens and house and behind the house is what is claimed to be the finest Baroque church in England, together with a fine tearoom.

 

Whitley Court
Whitley Court showing ruined house, surviving church and fountains
 


gardens   House
Ornate Gardens and fountain   The frontage showing empty roofless rooms
  Fountain
Frontage with Collonade   Fountain
Fountain   view to church
Fountain in full flow   Loggia front left and Baroque church beyond
Loggia   Collonnade
Inside the Loggia   Frontage with steps and Ionic columns
     
Chapel   Inside chapel
The Chapel   Inside the chapel


Index button

Celebrating England

© Craig Thornber, England, United Kingdom    Main Site Address:  https://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0 1.0 Strict W3C CSS