Grid Refs: SK 286 360 & SK 263 343
Date 1 April 2006


St. Andrew's at Radbourne lies near Radbourne Hall.  It has a nave and north aisle with a 14th century arcade.  Of particular interest are the alabaster effigies of John* de la Pole and his wife.  He has long straight hair, his family arms on the hilt of his sword and his feet on a dog. His is depicted with with her cloak held at the hem by a dog.  On an altar tomb is an engraving of Peter de la Pole's son Ralph de la Pole, a judge with a long gown and hanging sleeves and his wife Johanna, with an embroidered headress.  A low tomb has engraved portraits of another member of the family and his wife under canopies.

In the chancel there are a pair of sedilia with early 13th century arches.  The east window has figures representing Faith, Hope and Charity. The nave and chancel have piscinas and there is a double sedilia with Norman decorations.  The 14th and 15th century woodwork in the church is said to come from Dale Abbey and to have been brought by Francis Pole who purchased it at the Dissolution. The woodwork includes late medieaval bench ends with poppy heads.There is a squires' pew as the west end with panels of linenfold vine and grapes.  The font cover is also probably from Dale.  The oak reredos, stalls and chancel screen are modern.

The Pole family formerly had a house near the church at Radburne Brook.  The current house is out of sight of the church and was built for German Pole, in 1739.

The list of rectors goes back to Henry Walkelin, who was appointed about 1230.

* Note:   Arthur Mee names the figures in the effigies as Peter de la Pole and his wife Elizabeth.   Pevsner claims that Peter de la Pole is shown on an inscribed alabaster slab (1432) and the effigy is of John de la Pole (1491 with an incised slab to Ralph Pole of 1455.  John Leonard has the effigies as John de la Pole (1491).  A website on the Pole family history shows the following line of descent indicating that the order fitting the dates is of Peter, Ralph then John.

1. John de la Pole of Newborough married Cecilia de Wakebridge.
2. Sir Peter de la Pole married Elizabeth Lawton (died 04 08 1432, the daughter of Sir John Lawton by Alianore Chandos of Radbourne. 
3. Ralph de la Pole, a judge about 1452, married Joan daughter of Thomas Grosvenor.  (Wife was Johanna according to Arthur Mee)
4. Ralph de la Pole of Radbourne, Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1491, married Elizabeth daughter of Reginald Moton of Pockleton.
5. John de la Pole married about 1474 to Jane daughter of John Fitzherbert of Etwall.
6. German de la Pole of Radbourne (1482-1552) married Anne daughter of Sir Robert Plompton
7. Francis de la Pole of Dale Abbey, married Catherine daughter of Humphrey Vernon of Hodnet.

Any further clarification on the alabaster slabs would be gratefully received.



Church   effigy
St. Andrews, Radburne   Jane de la Pole
effigy   Inscribed slab
Double effigy   Inscribed alabaster slab
effigy   All Saints Dalbury
Detail of effigy   All Saints, Dalbury
Font   pulpit
Font   Pulpit


Walking South East from Radbourne across the park brings one to a disused railway line which is now a path.  If you follow this to the right  for about 1.5 miles you can leave the track to the right and come into the hamlet of Dalbury in about a mile walking to the North West.

There was a church at Dalbury at the time of the Domesday Survey but nothing of it remains.  However, in the present church there survives the 13th century window of St. Michael on the south side of the nave and another lancet window. Charles Evelyn Cotton, an incumbent in the 19th century provided some of the woodwork in the church including the font cover.  He restored the church, gave it an aisle and built the rectory.


Derbyshire Parish Churches from the eighth to eighteenth centuries, by John Leonard, Breedon Books, Derby, 1993, ISBN 1-873626-36-3.
The King's England, Derbyshire, by Arthur Mee, first published by Hodder & Stoughton in 1937, 6th impression February 1951.
The Buildings of England, Derbyshire by Nikolaus Pevsner, revised by Elilzabeth Williamson, first published by Penguin in 1953, Yale University Press edition, 2002.


Index button

Delights of Derbyshire

© Craig Thornber, Cheshire, England, UK. Main Site Address: https://www.thornber.net/