WIDNES

Grid Ref:
Date: 8 March 2010

Church
St. Pauls in Victoria Square
Coop
Mosaic in the pedestrian precinct showing Widnes' Industrial Heritage

 

Pub   Chapel
Public House on Victoria Road   Chapel of 1887 in Lacey Street
College   Technical School
Public Library and Technical School Building   The end of the Technical School
Detail of Decoration   Door
Detail of decoration over a window of the Learning Centre   Doorway for Technical School
Town Hall   A
Former Town Hall facing Victoria Square   Part of former Town Hall
Decoration   Door
Detail of decoration over the former Town Hall door   Over a window of Town Hall
Coop   Coop
Cooperative Buildings going down Lugsdale Road   Detail of the Cooperative Building
Coop   Entrance
Upper Storey of Cooperative Building   Entrance to Coop

St. Paul's in Victoria Square was built by H. Shelmerdine in 1883-4 but the tower was not built until 1907. The Public Library and Technical School Building, now the Learning Centre, built in 1895-6 and enlarged in 1910 in red brick and terracotta. It is one of several public buildings in this striking colour. The former Town Hall, is seen around noon with the frontage on Victoria Square in shade. It was built in 1885 by F & G Holmes.

Index

Town Walks

©  Craig Thornber, England, United Kingdom    Main Site Address:  https://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0 1.0 Strict W3C_CSS