WATERLOO, LIVERPOOL

Grid Ref: SJ 315 985
Date: 10 February 2010

A walk round Waterloo in Merseyside from Beach Lawn via Marine Crescent, Marine Terrace, Great Georges Street, Waterloo Road, Victoria Road, Crosby Road, Great Georges Road, Church Road, South Road, Mount Pleasant, Oxford Road, Mersey View to Bridges Road.

Beach Lawn has a range of spendid Georgian and Victorian villas. At the left hand side up to Harbord Road is the Victorian Gothic mansion dating from 1867. The English Heritage Blue Plaque, just visible bottom centre on the picture just below on the right, states "Thomas Henry Ismay 1837-99, Founder of the White Star Line, lived here." Pevsner, in his South Lancashire volume on the buildings of England, describes these properties in Beach Lawn as Italianate. Adelaide Terrace has villas with large pillasters separating them. The road is named after William IV's queen, as is the city in Australia. William was king from 1830 to 1837. Adelaide Terrace ends at Wellington Street, named after the Duke of Wellington who won the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. Captain Edward John Smith, (1850-1912) Master of the Titanic, lived in Beach Law from 1898-1907. He went down with his ship.

In 2010 there was already a huge modern block overlooking Marine Crescent and Marine Terrace. In 2021, Liverpool lost its World Heritage Site status. At the corner of Marine Terrace and Great Georges Road is the Royal Hotel, formerly the Waterloo Hotel, built in 1815. Turning up Great Georges Road, the patriotic naming scheme continues with The Victoria Hotel on the corner of Bath Street.Crosby Town Hall is on Great Georges Road. It was built in 1862. Turning left off Waterloo Road into Victoria Road here is one of many fine 19th century villas in the area. Turning left out of Victoria Road onto Crosby Road, you find on the right St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church of 1876 and the church hall of 1892.

Turning left off Crosby Road down Great Georges Road and then right into Church Road is the Police Station of 1876. The Alexandra is on the corner of Brighton Road and South Road. (Queen Alexandra (1844 – 1925) was a Danish princess who married the Prince of Wales in 1863. He became King Edward VII and reigned from 1901 to 1910.)

South Road is the main shopping street for Waterloo. Lorne Road going off to the left is parallel to the railway line. It has a three storey terrace of houses. Returning SW on South Road is the Old Bank. At the corner of South Road and Mount Pleasant you see the Marine which is on the corner of South Road and East Street. Back up South Road and turning left into Oxford Road is three storey terrace on the corner of Sandon Street. To the left off Oxford Road is Canning Street, named after George Canning (1770-1827) who was Foreign Secretary twice and Chancellor of the Exchequer in the early years of the 19th century and Prime Minister from April to August of 1827, dying in office. He was an MP for Liverpool from October 16, 1812 - February 15, 1823.

St. John's, just to the east of Oxford Road in St. John' Place was for sale in 2010. It was built by Culshaw in 1864/5. It was damaged in 1940 by bombing and reopened in 1951. In Oxford Road there is a disused school attached to St. Edmund's Catholic Church.

 

Beach Lawn   Ismay's house
Beach Lawn villas   Thomas Henry Ismay founder of the White Star Line lived here
Italianate Villas   Beach Lawn
Italian style villas   Beach Lawn
Adelaide Terrace   Adelaide Terrace
Adelaide Terrace   Adelaide Terrace up to Wellington Street
View to seaward   Flats
View to the Marine and beyond to the Estuary   Modern development overlooking Marine Crescent & Terrace
Marine Crescent   Royal Hotel
Marine Crescen it wrought ironwork on the verandas   Royal Hotel formerly called the Waterloo, was built in 1815
Victoria Hotel   Crosby Town Hall
Victoria Hotel on the corner of Bath Street   Crosby Town Hall
Church   Villas
St. Andrew's of 1876 on Crosby Road   Victoria Road

Police Station

  Alexandra
Police Station of 1876   The Alexandra on the corner of Brighton & South Roads
Shops   Lorne Road
South Road   Three story terrace in Lorne Road
Shops South Road   South Road
Waterloo Buildings in South Road date from 1894   The north end of South Road
Old Bank   Mount Pleasant
Also on South Road is the Old Bank   Corner of South Road and Mount Pleasant
The Marine   Oxford Road
Marine on corner of South Road & East St.   Oxford Road
Canning Street   St. John's
Canning Street   St. John's in St. John's Place just east of Oxford Road
School   Church
Former School attached ot St. Edmund's Catholic Church   St. Edmund's Roman Catholic Church on Oxford Road.

 

Index

Town Walks

©  Craig Thornber, England, United Kingdom    Main Site Address:  https://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0 1.0 Strict W3C_CSS