A MANCHESTER & SALFORD MISCELLANY

2015-2021

 

Media City
Media City, September 2015
Wythenshawe Hall
Wythenshawe Hall, Sept 2015, before the disastrous fire.

Wythenshawe Hall was owned by the Tatton Family, not to be confused with Tatton Park near Knutsford. The Hall lies in what was formerly Lancashire. The Tattons of Wythenshawe can be traced to Robert de Tatton, living about 1300.  His grandson, Robert de Tatton of Kenworthy had a grant of land in "Withinshawe" in 1370.  He married Alice the daughter and heiress of William de Mascy of Wythinshagh. Wythenshawe Hall was besieged for three months during the Civil War in 1642-43 when Robert Tatton and about 50 servants held out against the parliamentarians.  The house was captured. William Tatton employed Lewis Wyatt in the 1790s to extend the original Elizabethan Hall with the construction of a library on the ground floor, shown to the right of the half timbered frontage.  The hall is now owned by Manchester City Council and was open to the public until closed in 2010. There was a disastrous fire in 2016. When it was open, there were too few staff on duty to manage it; everything that could be moved had been taken out and even the pictures were raised high to prevent them being touched. It was not the same experience as visiting a National Trust Property.

The Smoak Bar is in the Malmaison Hotel on the corner of Picadilly and Auburn Street. It was formerly a part of the Joshua Hoyle and Sons warehouse cotton spinners and manufacturers. The following is from a report in from Building News in November 1904

WAREHOUSE, PICCADILLY, MANCHESTER - This building has been erected for Messrs Joshua Hoyle and  Sons, Ltd, cotton spinners and manufacturers. Including the basement it is seven stories high. The portion of the ground‑floor facing Piccadilly is for shops and a cafe. The warehouse entrance is at the corner, and the loading ways in the side street. The old building formerly on the site was of a height allowing the new lofty one to be erected without infringing any right of light. Internally there are three lifts. An installation of pneumatic letter and parcel tubes between the several departments is expected to save much labour. The heating and ventilation are in combination by means of washed air being driven by electric fans from an air chamber in the basement to the several floors and departments.  The erection was at first attended with much difficulty, owing to a canal running across the site, the navigation of which was not interfered with. The main structure is of steel. This system enabled the architects to have the building erected at great speed. As soon as the stanchions and main beams of a floor were in position the Fram fireproof floor arching followed on, thus all waiting for the wall erections was avoided. The first stanchion in the basement was fixed in March, and in October the counters, lifts, electric wiring, etc., were being put in position. We refer to this, as in a building of this class speed, coupled with sound construction, is of great financial value to the proprietors. The exterior is in Burmantofts half‑glaze green terra-cotta to the first‑floor level, and upwards in half-glaze buff terra-cotta and deep red bricks. The roof is covered with green slates and green terra-cotta ridge tiles. The architects are Messrs Charles Heathcote and Sons, of Manchester, and Savoy‑court, London, and the builders are Messrs Robert Neill and Sons, Manchester.

Picadilly   Picadilly
Malmaison Hotel on Picadilly, 2015   Hoyle & Sons, to the right of the adjacent shot.
Chop House   Arcade ceiling
Sam's Chop House, St. Ann's Alley/Cross Street   Barton Arcade off Deansgate, 1871
Corn Market   Victoria Station
Corn Exchange, rebuilt 1903   Victoria Station, Lancs & Yorks Railway
Cheatham's School   Minshull's House
Grammar School of 1873-8   Minshull's House, Cateaton Street

 

Index

Town Walks

©  Craig Thornber, England, United Kingdom    Main Site Address:  https://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0 1.0 Strict W3C_CSS