WARSLOW

Grid Ref: SK 086 586: Elevation 972 feet
Date 31 May 2017

 

Church
St. Lawrence's Church, Warslow
Nave
The Nave

 

West Gallery spacer East Window
The Nave looking West   The East Window
Memorial   cottage
Plaque in the church   Properties near the church

 

Warslow is a small village in Staffordshire, England. It is located in the Peak District National Park about 10 miles (16 km) north of Ashbourne. Although in the county of Staffordshire, the village lies close to the Derbyshire border.

Mike Salter tells us that there are now no remains of the church of 1565, that the existing four bay nave dates from 1784, the tower is of 1820 and the chancel was added in 1908. He also mentions a damaged Norman font.

On the other hand, Pevsner tells us that the church of St. Lawrence was built in 1820 with the chancel added in 1908 by Lynam and Sons. When he was writing, in 1974, the church was said to have a two decker pulpit with a tester and box pews. The stained glass is by William Morris and Company, with dates of 1909, 1910, 1920 and 1923.

A Church of England site, agrees with Pevsner's dates but may have taken its information from his book. However, the reliability of this site is called into question when it states that the mosaics surrounding the two chancel windows, it is believed, were worked by Italian prisoners during World War One, who were billeted at nearby Sheen! This cannot be true as Italy was on the side of the Allies in World War One and all its fighting was done in the north of the country against the Austro-Hungarians as outlined in the Wikipedia article. Perhaps it should be WWII. The site mentions that the clock in the tower dates from 1837 and was made by Francis Abbot of Manchester. The Harpur Crewe family of Calke Abbey in Derbyshire have close affiliations to Warslow and the Church. They built Warslow Hall in 1830 and used it as their home during the shooting season. Their family pew can be found to the right of the lectern upolstered in green silk.

Seeking further clarification, one consults the Victoria County History of Staffordshire - the ultimate authoratative source. It reports in an article on Warslow and Elkstone as follows and shows where the date of 1784 might have arisen in Mike Salter's book. The VCH site is a mine of information on the area and well worth a visit.

The present church of ST. LAWRENCE at Warslow, so called by 1850, dates from 1820. Its predecessor was a narrow building, 44 ft. long and 20 ft. wide, which dated at least in part from the earlier 17th century: a stone dated 1631 is on the east wall of the present church. Permission was given in 1784 to insert a west gallery and to repew the nave; the pulpit then stood on the north side of the nave. The church was rebuilt in Georgian style in 1820, 2 ft. shorter than the earlier building but 7 ft. wider. Of coursed ashlar, it consisted of an aisleless nave with a west gallery, a south door, and a west tower. The communion table stood at the east end of the nave and a combined pulpit and reading desk on its north side. A chancel, north vestry, and south organ chamber were added in 1908, at the expense of Sir Thomas Wardle of Leek, whose country seat was at Swainsley, in Butterton. The architect was Charles Lynam of Stoke-upon-Trent. The box pews in the nave were replaced with open benches, and a pew for the Harpur Crewe family was provided at the east end of the nave on the south side.

Sources

The Buildings of England, Staffordshire, by Nikolaus Pevsner, Penguin, 1974, ISBN 0 14 071046 9
The Old Parish Churches of Staffordshire, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, 1996, ISBN 1871731 25 8

 

 

Index button

Strolling through Staffordshire

©  Craig Thornber, England, United Kingdom    Main Site Address:  http://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0 1.0 Strict W3C_CSS