|Methodist Chapel at Danebridge||Hanging Stone|
|View northwards towards Shuttlingsloe||Hanging Stone from below, Apr 2008|
|Dane Bridge Mill, now a YHA, Apr 2008||Part of Lud's Church|
The river Dane forms the boundary between Staffordshire and Cheshire in the north east of the county. One can park at Gradbach and walk along a path near the river bank towards Danebridge. En route you will see the former sewing silk mill that has been converted to a Youth Hostel. Gradbach is well known in the area as a venue for Scout and Guide camps. From Danebridge one can walk to Hanging Stone, sometimes called Hanging Rock, Lud's Church and towards the Roaches. Hanging Stone is a millstone grit outcrop commanding impressive views across parts of Staffordshire and Cheshire. On the lower side is a plaque commemorating Lieutenant Colonel Henry Courtney Brocklehurst, 10th Royal Hussars, a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps (1916-1918) game warden of the Sudan, born at nearby Swythamley Hall in 1888. He was killed in Burma in June 1942 while serving with the Commandoes. There is also a plaque to a black and tan mastiff called Burke, owned by the Brocklehurst family, which died 1 August 1874 and was buried beneath the rock.
Lud's Church or Cave is a natural feature caused by a rock fault. It is a narrow crack about 30 feet deep in the hillside through which one can walk. It is dark, damp and cool even on a hot August day.