CAULDON

Grid Ref: SK 078 494
17 April 2004

Church spacer Altar
St. Mary & St. Lawrence, Cauldon   East End
Royal arms   War Memorial
Arms of George IV, 1829   Memorial to men who died in the Great War

The Church of St. Mary and St. Lawrence in Cauldon has architecture from several periods. It is known that vicars of the church go back as far Thomas Hode, recorded to be the incumbent in 1533. The parish registers, now preserved at Staffordshire Record Office, go back to 1580. Part of the chancel may be from the late medieval period but the tower, nave, north arcade and part of the chancel were built between 1781 and 1784. The porch was built in 1885. Cauldon is now an area of scattered settlements so it was a surprise to see 72 names on the war memorial, erected in 1926 in a newly rebuilt north aisle. At the beginning of the 20th century, there was a large workforce in the quarries.

In 1851 the parish of Cauldon, sometimes written as Caldon, had 326 people and the area was said to be barren moorland. Cauldon Lowe is a hill of limestone, extensively quarried for use as a building material and in iron smelting. It was formerly carried to the Caldon Canal and to the station at Froghall for transport across the country.

Sources:

Staffordshire Churches, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, 1996.
GenUKI site

 

Index button

Strolling through Staffordshire
©  Craig Thornber, England, United Kingdom    Main Site Address:  http://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0 1.0 Strict W3C_CSS