|Staffordshire Arms at the village centre||St. Chad's, 2013|
|St. Chad's House||St. Chad's, 2013|
|Detail of heraldic device on St. Chad's House||Cross on the village green|
|Millennium well||Victoria's Diamond Jubilee plaque|
The area was formerly part of the parish of Stoke-upon-Trent and became a chapelry in the 16th century. It became part of the parish of Bucknall and Bagnall in the early 19th century, by which time the church, which has a wooden tower, was in serious disrepair. The current St. Chad's at Bagnall dates from 1834 with the addition of the tower, vestry and chancel, designed by J. Beardmore, between 1878 and 1881. The chancel, east window and lych gate were funded by the Rev. Samuel Hubert Owen, who is buried in the churchyard. He was the son of Alfred Owen of Wood Hey in Wrexham, founder of the motor car firm of Rubery Owen. St. Chad's is a dedication often used for churches associated with a spring and the modern manifestation is the Millennium well near the village green.
St. Chad's House, or the Clergy House dates from the very early 17th century and was once the rectory. The Owen family owned the house at one time and it is their arms that are seen over the door. The motto is in Welsh and reads "What Owen has he holds". It was from this family that the Rev. Samuel Hubert Owen descended. During the Civil War, when Parliamentary Troops were based in the village, St. Chad's House was used as an armoury. Next door is St. Chad's cottage, variously used as smith and a cafe, and then the Staffordshire Arms, known in 1841 at the King's Arms. The inn faces a piece of land adjacent to the village green that was formerly known as the Pound, presumably where stray animals were kept.
On the day of our visit in November 2007, there was insufficient light to photograph Bagnall Hall, which looks onto the village green. The stone cross on the green, may date to the 16th century and was restored in the late 19th or early 20th century. It is Grade II listed. On the plinth of the cross is a plaque naming six local men, Franklin Ardern, Isaac Matthews, William Myatt, J. Lovell Hamshaw and Edwin Heal who contributed to the planting of five trees on the green to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee on 22 June 1897.
The Buildings of England, Staffordshire, by Nikolaus Pevsner, Penguin, 1974, ISBN 0 14 071046 9
Bagnall - on the Fringe of the Moorlands, Edited by Robert Speake, Published by the Bagnall Local History Group
Bagnall Chestnut Trees Centenary, A pamphlet written and compiled by Kath Gosling. 1997.