Many of the areas covered below, such as Slaidburn, Waddington, Bolton by Bowland, Barnoldswick and Gisburn moved into Lancashire as part of the Local Government Reorganisation of 1974.
The following notes are modified from A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire, For the year 1822, by Thomas Langdale - Containing the names of all the Towns, Villages, Hamlets, Gentlemen's Seats, &c. in the County of York, alphabetically arranged under the headings of the North, East, and West Ridings. Also in what Parish, Township, Wapentake, Division and Liberty they are situated. As shown in the extracts, Langdale drew heavily on Dr. Whitaker's History of the Deanery of Craven.
This out of copyright material has been transcribed by Colin Hinson, who has provided the transcription to the UK & Ireland Genealogical Information Service on condition that any further copying and distribution of the transcription is allowed only for noncommercial purposes, and includes this statement in its entirety. Any references to, or quotations from, this material should give credit to the original author(s) or editors. The full text can be accessed in the Yorkshire Section of UK and Ireland Genealogy by going to Yorkshire Genealogy. I have added some population figures from the 1821 census in a section at the end.
BARNOLDSWICK, or GILL (GHYLL) CHURCH, a parish town in the east division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4 miles from Gisburn, 5 from Colne, (Lanc.) 49 from York. Pop. 1334. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Craven, value p.r. £62 9s. 6d. Patron Sir John Lister Kaye, Bart. The church here, which seems to have been built soon after the Monks left this place, is situated near a mile and a half from the village, upon the brink of a deep glen, whence it has obtained the name of Gill Church. In 1147 Henry de Lacy founded a monastery here, and translated hither twelve Monks and ten Conversi, under Alexander, Prior of Fountains, for the support of which he assigned the whole town of Barnoldswick. The old church was levelled to the ground by the Abbot. After six years residence in continual warfare with the Rector and Parishioners, and frequent ravages committed upon their lands by the Scots, they abandoned Barnoldswick, and went to Kirkstall. --Tanner. The situation of this Monastery was on the margin of the brook, west of the village. -Whitaker.
BOLTON-BY-BOLLAND, a parish-town, in the west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; (Bolton-Hall, the occasional residence of John Bolton, Esq.) 4 miles from Gisburn, 10 from Settle, 12 from Colne, (Lanc.) 14 from Skipton, 55 from York. No Market. Fairs, June 28, 29, and 30, or horned cattle, pedlary, &c. --Pop. 1,205. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanery of Craven, value, £11 13s. 4d. p.r. £123 12s, Patron John Bolton, Esq. Bolton Hall the ancient residence of the family of Pudsay, says, Dodsworth, "stands very pleasantly among sweet woods and fruitful hills." Here Sir Ralph Pudsay sheltered his persecuted sovereign Henry VI. after the battle of Hexham: and where still are preserved a pair of boots, a pair of gloves, and a spoon, which the unfortunate Monarch left, either from haste and trepidation, or as tokens of regard for the family. An adjoining Well still retains the name of "King Harry", who is said to have directed it to be dug and walled, in its present shape, for a cold bath. In the church, which is a plain building of late Gothic architecture, is the famous monument of Sir Ralph Pudsay, with his three wives and twenty-five children, all engraven in relief, upon a slab of grey Craven limestone. --Whitaker's Craven. The manor and advowson were purchased for £42,000 by John Bolton, of Liverpool, Esq. its present owner.
BOWLAND-FOREST, in the parish of Slaidburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Clitheroe, 18 from Lancaster and Preston, (Lanc.) Pop. lower-division 360, higher division 237, total 597. Bowland-Forest, anciently a Forest, as its name implies, extends over a large tract of country on the borders of Lancashire, and is divided into two townships, denominated Upper and Lower Forest of Bowland. Though Bowland is principally inclosed, it is still ranged by herds of deer, under the jurisdiction of a master forester here, in allusion to the name of the Forest, called Bowbearer, who has under him an inferior keeper. The former office is now held by Thomas Lister Parker, Esq. as it has long been by his ancestors. From Whitaker.
BRACEWELL, a parish-town, in the east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; 5 miles from Colne, (Lanc.) 9 from Skipton, 11 from Burnley, (Lanc.) 50 from York. --Pop. 176. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanery of Craven, value, £2 9s. 9.5d. p.r. 60L. Patron, Lord Grantham. "The Vicarage House," Dr. Whitaker observes, and very justly, "is a disgrace to the parish and Church of England -a miserable thatched cottage of two rooms only, floored with clay, and open to the roof". --History of Craven. Here is the ruin of an old Hall, built of brick, probably about the time of Henry VII. or VIII. and was formerly the residence of the ancient family of the Tempests. North of this are the remains of a still older house of stone, in which is an apartment called "King Henry's Parlour"; undoubtedly one of the retreats of Henry VI. From Whitaker's Craven.
GISBURN, a parish town, in the west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; (Gisburn-Park, the seat of Lord Ribblesdale); 7 miles from Clitheroe, (Lancs) 8 from Colne, (Lancs) 11 from Skipton and Settle, 52 from York, 224 from London. --Market, Monday. --Fairs, Easter Monday, that day fortnight, and that day month, and Saturday after that day month, for horned cattle; Monday, five weeks after Easter, for pedlary ware, &c.; September 18th for calves; and every other Monday for fat cattle, &c. --Pop. 690. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Craven, value £11 6s. 8d. p.r. £120. Patron, the King. The Church, which was given to the Nunnery of Stainfield, com. Lincoln, is a decent structure, built of stone, and probably, not older than temp. Henry VII. or VIII. Gisburn Park is chiefly remarkable for a herd of wild cattle, descendants of that indigenous race which once peopled the great Forest of Lancashire. They are white, save the tips of their noses which are black, rather mischievous, especially when guarding their young -they breed with tame cattle. Gisburn Park is beautifully situated at the confluence of the Ribble and Stockbeck. The Lodge, through which is the entrance into the Park, is a fine piece of Gothic architecture, nobly ornamented with figures. The pinnacles, &c. carved with great taste and elegance from designs of the present noble owner. In the house is a series of good Paintings, among which are the Lord Chief Justice, of the time of Henry VIII. General Lambert, apparently an original; his Son, an excellent painting, by himself; and above, Oliver Cromwell, by Sir Peter Lely. --Whitaker.
GISBURN-FOREST, a township, in the parish of Gisburn, west division and liberty of Staincliffe; 8 miles from Settle, 15 from Colne, (Lanc.) 17 from Skipton. --Pop. 457. Here is a Chapel, which is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, value, p.r. £49 9s. 9d. Patron, the Vicar of Gisburn. This is named by Bacon, Tosside-Chapel; and by others, Houghton-Chapel. The Manor of Gisburn Forest properly belongs to the lord of the Percy Fee; but the Abbot and convent of Sallay had the wood and herbage. It was, however, lately claimed by Thomas Browne, Esq. of Burton-upon-Trent, as owner of the principal estate in Gisburn Forest. --Whitaker. This manor is now enjoyed by Mr. Browne. The chapel is situated at the northern extremity of the township, and appears a question with Dr. Whitaker, whether it is within the Forest or not. Within the manor of Gisburn, is a small, but very entire square Fort, called Castle-Haugh, and near it is a barrow, which being opened, was found to contain a rude earthen Urn.
GRINDLETON, in the parish of Mitton, west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Bolland; 4.5 miles from Gisburn, 14 from Burnley, and Colne, (Lanc.) 15 from Skipton. --Pop. 1,125. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value p.r. £95 Patron, the Vicar of Mitton.
HOLDEN, in the township and parish of Bolton-by-Bolland, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Guisburn, 10 from Settle, 13 from Skipton,
MITTON, a parish-town, in the west-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Bolland; 3 miles from Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 10 from Blackburn, (Lanc.) 12 from Gisburn. Pop. 324. The Church is a vicarage dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanery of Craven, value, £14 7s. 8.5d. p.r. 140L.
SALLAY-ABBEY, or SAWLEY,- (extraparochial) west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 3 miles from Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 12 from Colne, (ditto) 15.5 from Skipton. --Pop. including Tosside, 561, which being united, form a township. Here was an Abbey of the Cistercian Order, founded by William de Percy, in 1147, at which time, Abbot Benedict, with twelve Monks and ten Conversi, removed to Sallay from Fountains. It was valued at the dissolution, at 147L. per ann. The site, with all its appendages, was granted by King Henry VIII to Sir Arthur Darcy, to be held in capite, by Knights service. Great part of the nave and transept are standing: the choir and chapter-house are yet traceable by their foundations: the gateway is converted in a cottage: in the walls of the adjoining houses, are several well-cut shields, exhibiting the arms of Percy, Lacy, Tempest, Hammerton, &c. The Manor and Demesnes belong at present to the Right Hon. Lord Grantham. --Grose.
SLAIDBURN, a parish-town, in the west division of Staincliffe, liberty of Bolland; 9 miles from Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 10 from Gisburn, and Long-Preston, 12 from Settle, 20 from Lancaster and Blackburn, (Lanc.) 21 from Skipton, 62 from York. --No Market. --Fairs, Wednesday before Easter, and November 4. --Principal Inn, Hark-to-Bounty. --Pop. 914. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to Saint Andrew, in the deanry of Craven, value £28. Patron the Rev. Henry Wigglesworth. The Church is a large handsome structure, of red Fell stone, built about the time of Henry VIII. and appears to have been repaired in 1726. Within the altar is a stone, inscribed to the memory of Nicholas Townley, dated 1693. This place is situated near the western extremity of the Forest of Bolland, on the borders of Lancashire. Here is a Free Grammar-School, but when, or by whom founded, we could not learn. The Master's salary £50 and the Usher or second Master, about £20 per annum. The Courts Leet for the higher division of the Forest of Bolland are held here. "Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln, procured a charter for a Fair at Slaydburn, on the eve and festival of St. Peter ad Vinc. and two days after." --Whitaker
THORNTON, (in Craven) a parish town, in the east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles from Skipton, Gargrave, Gisburn, and Colne, (Lanc.) 12 from Burnley, (ditto) 13 from Keighley and Settle, 47 from York. Pop. 1,829. The Church, which is at some distance from the village, is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, (Dr. Whitaker says to St. Oswald, or All Saints,) in the deanry of Craven, value, £19 5s. 2.5d. Patron, Sir John Lister Kaye, Bart. Fortnight Fairs, are on the Mondays before Skipton. In this parish are the manors of Thornton, Eureby, and Kellbrook, which have never been separated from the earliest times, but have passed together, and in succession, through the families of Percy, Kyme, Muncey, Roos, Pilkington, Manners, Lister, and Kaye. In 28th Edward I. Walter de Muncey, obtained a charter of free-warren in Thornton, Enreby, and Kellbrook, together with a fair and market at Thornton, viz. a market every Thursday, and a fair there for five days, viz., on the eve, day, and morrow of St. Thomas the Martyr, and two following days. In 1556, 3 and 4 Philip and Mary, the manor and advowson were alienated by Henry, second Earl of Northumberland, to William Lister; through which family they have descended to the present proprietor. Thornton appears to have had some share of the troubles in the time of Charles I. for we find, that the Manor-house of Sir William Lister was taken by a party of Royalists, in July, 1643, sent by Sir John Mallory, from Skipton, which was some time afterwards burnt, and never re-built. Several years since, on digging into the rubbish, an apartment was discovered on the ground-floor, with the old furniture undisturbed. --Whitaker's Craven. Here are Alms-Houses for five poor widows, founded by the late Joseph Smith, Esq. Banker, London, and endowed it by him with 3s. 6d. each, per week, and coals.
TOSSIDE, in the township of Sawley-with-Tosside, and parish of Gisburn, west-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 7.5 miles from Settle, 13 from Clitheroe, (Lanc.) 16 from Skipton. --Pop. included in Sawley. This township consists of a large tract of pasture and moor lands, not having any particular cluster of houses or village, called Tosside.
WADDINGTON, in the parish of Mitton, west division of Staincliffe, liberty of Bolland; 8.5 miles from Gisburn, 14 from Blackburn, (Lanc.) 16 from Burnley, (ditto) 20 from Skipton. --Pop. 687. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Helen. Patron, T. L. Parker, Esq. This place, at the time of Domesday, was a parcel of the Terra Rogeri Pictaviensis. In the time of Edward I. it appears to have been in the possession of the Tempests, in which family it continued till the reign of Charles I. Waddington-Hall, though constructed of strong old masonry, has nearly lost all appearances of antiquity. (Whitaker) Here is a Hospital, founded in 1701, by Robert Parker, for ten widows; attached to which, is an oratory for divine worship, for which the founder ordered prayers to be read daily, morning and evening. In 1709, the rental of the estate belonging to this Hospital, was £66 8s. In 1799, it amounted to £254 instead of ten; there were then fifteen widows. The pious founder died early in life, and was buried in the church-yard of Waddington. An Alms-House was founded here in 1690, for twenty poor people of the township of Aighton, Bailey, Chaigley, Mitton, Wiswell, and Ribchester; and endowed with £6 13s. 4d. per month, and a suit of clothes to each, every year.
The census returns of 1821 and 1831 were concerned only with counting the number of men and women; the names of individuals are not recorded. However, the information is of value to population statisticians and the naming of the districts shows the administrative areas in use at the beginning of the 19th century.
For each area, the parish is given first in capital letters. The names that follow, in lower case, are the townships, except where labelled as Chapelries. The figures that follow are for the number of persons in that district.
The local government reorganisation of 1974 took part of Yorkshire into the county of Lancashire. The areas involved are roughly Slaidburn, Waddington, Mitton, Bolton by Bowland Gisburn, parts of Gisburn Forest, and Barnoldswick. The areas covered below are the Wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross in Yorkhire, The Parish of Whalley and those parts of the Parish of Mitton that fell in the Hundred of Blackburn, Lancashire. In 1821 Whalley was still a very large Parish covering much of North East Lancashire and containing a number of chapelries. Later in the 19th century these chapelries became parishes.
ADDINGHAM (part of the parish, the rest is in the Wapentake of Upper Claro): Addingham Township, 1570.
ARNCLIFFE (part of the parish; the rest is in the West Division): Buckden, 383.
BARNOLDSWICK. Barnoldswick, 1334; Brogden, 233; Coates, 97; Salterforth, 686.
BROUGHTON IN AIREDALE: Broughton with Elslack Township, 427
BURNSALL: Appletreewick, 312; Burnsall with Thorp-sub-Montem, 329; Chapelry of Coniston with Kilnsay, 137; Craco, 179; Harlington, 141; Hetton with Bordley, 180; Chapelry of Rilsdon, 145.
GARGRAVE: Bank Newton, 139; Coniston Cold, 345; Eshton, 69; Flasby with Winterburn, 134; Gargrave, 972.
KETTLEWELL WITH STARBOTTON, 663.
KILDWICK: Bradleys-Both, 506; Cowling, 1870; Farnhill with Cononley, 1350; Glusburn, 787; Kildwick, 175; Chapelry of Silsden, 1904; Steeton with Eastburn, 753; Stirton with Thorlby, 168; Sutton, 1092.
KIRKBY-IN-MALLAM-DALE (i.e. Kirby Malham) (part of the parish; most is in the West Division): Calton, 76.
LINTON: Grassington, 983; Hebden, 377; Linton, 313; Threshfield, 237.
MARTIN (Marton?), 382.
SKIPTON (part of the parish. The rest is in Upper Claro Wapentake): Barden, 219; Chapelry of Bolton Abbey, 127; Draughton 279; Embsay with Eastby, 861; Halton East with Bolton, 141; Skipton, 3411.
THORNTON IN CRAVEN, 1829.
ARNCLIFFE (part of the parish, the rest is in the East Division): Arncliffe, 189; Chapelry of Halton Gill, 114; Halton West, 190; Hawkswith, 86; Litton, 102.
BENTHAM: Bentham, 2102; Chapelry of Ingleton, 1302; Langcliffe, 420.
BOLTON BY BOWLAND, 1205.
CLAPHAM: Austwick, 556; Clapham with Newby, 982; Lawkland, 351.
GIGGLESWICK: Giggleswick, 746; Rathmill, 328; Settle, 1508; Stainforth, 235.
GISBURN: Gisburn, 690; Gisburn Forest, 457; Horton, 187; Middop, 100; Nappa, 44; Newsholme, 44; Paythorne, 242; Rimmington, 698; Swinden, 37.
HORTON IN RIBBLESDALE, 558.
KIRKBY-IN-MALLAM-DALE (part of parish, the rest is in the East Division): Airton, 187; Hanlith, 46; Kirkby in Mallam Dale, 204; Malham, 262; Malham Moor, 88; Otterburn, 40; Scosthorpe, 102.
LONG PRESTON: Hellifield, 279; Long Preston, 733; Wigglesworth, 479.
MITTON (part of the parish, the rest is in the Higher and Lower Divisions of the Blackburn Hundred of Lancashire): Bashall Eaves, 348; West Bradford, 564; Chapelry of Grindleton, 1125; Mitton, 324; Chapelry of Waddington, 687; Sawley with Tosside, (extraparochial) 561.
SEDBERGH: Dent, 1782; Chapelry of Garsdale, 679; Sedbergh, 2022.
SLAIDBURN (Bowland Forest is deemed to extend into Whalley Parish of the Blackburn Hundred of Lancashire): Bowland Forest High, 237; Bowland Forest Low, 360; Easington, 501; Newton, 581; Slaidburn, 904.
THORNTON-IN-LONSDALE: Burton, Black, 746; Thornton, 535.
MITTON (part of the parish, part is also in the lower division and the remainder is in Yorkshire, see above. Little Mitton is in the Parish of Whalley, see below). Laund, Old Booth, 390.
WHALLEY (part of the parish, the rest is in the Lower Division. The total population was 84,198): Accrington, New; 4109; Chapelry of Accrington, Old, 1261; Chapelry of Altham, 439; Barley with Whitley Booths, 765; Barrowford, 2168; Booths, Higher, 3172; Booths Lower, 1513; Briercliffe with Extwistle, 1407; Chapelry of Burnley, 6378; Chatburn, 552; Borough of Clitheroe, 3213; Chapelry of Cliviger, 1314; Chapelry of Colne, 7274; Dunnockshaw, 76; Chapelry of Downham, 620; Foulridge, 1307; Chapelry of Goldshaw Booth, 819; Habergham-Eaves, 4612; Hapton, 568; Heyhouses, 187; Higham Booth, 891; Hallows-Reedly, Filly-Close and New Laund Booth, 422; Huncoat, 629; Ightenhill Park, 208; Chapelry of Great Marsden, 1893; Little Marsden, 2052; Mearley, 89; Little Mitton, 99: Chapelry of New-Church with Deadwin-Clough, 8557; Chapelry of Padiham, 3060; Chapelry of Pendleton, 1319; Read, 510; Rough-Lee-Booth, 958; Simonstone, 396; Trawden Forest, 2507; Twiston, 236; Whalley, 1058; Wheatley Carr, 69; Wiswell, 683; Worsthorn, 631; Worston, 178; Yate and Pick-up-Bank, 1359.
MITTON: Aighton, Bailey & Chaigley, 1487.
WHALLEY (part of the parish, the rest is in the Higher Division, see above): Bowland with Leagram, 370; Chapelry of Church Town, 752; Clayton-le-Moors, 1963; Chapelry of Haslingden, 6595; Oswaldtwistle, 4960.