IN WADDINGTON, SLAIDBURN AND GISBURN FOREST, FORMERLY YORKSHIRE, NOW LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND
As a result of my own research and work by Mrs Jessie Thornber of Clitheroe,
many of the Thornber family trees of Slaidburn and Gisburn Forest have been
assembled. Mrs Margaret Woodcock of Huddersfield researched the family of William
Thornber and Ann Proctor in Gisburn Forest with particular reference to their
son Thomas. As a result of looking at Thornber wills I made the connection between
this William and the Thornbers of Slaidburn.
In April 2010, I was contacted by Chris Spencer, who together with Reg Postlethwaite transcribed the Slaidburn Registers. Chris has also made an extensive study of the court rolls of the Manor of Slaidburn and found valuable genealogical information in them. There are records in the court rolls which show how the tenancy of farms and pieces of land could descend to a tenant's heirs, on the payment of a fee, usually called a fine. The registers of Slaidburn have a gap between 1600 and 1631 hence the importance of other sources at this time. With this information and some from wills, Chris was able to link the Thornbers of Greenbank back to the Thornbers of Slaidburn and the links are included in the tree below.
Mrs. Sue Borthwick of West Sussex kindly provided the information from the Blackburn
census of 1851.
1. The family of Giles Thornber of West Bradford near Waddington
- 1. Giles (Egidius) Thornber of West Bradford (born about 1610, lived West Bradford near Waddington, buried 30 November 1655 at Waddington.
+ Margreta Parker, on 28 April 1635, Slaidburn. She was born about 1610 and was buried at Waddington on 15 February 1673/4
- 2. Giles (Egidius) Thornber, baptised Waddington 14 Aug 1636. Lived at West Bradford near Waddington. Hearth tax indicates a Giles resident in West Bradford in 1672.
- + Ann, married about 1660. She would have been born about 1635 (see footnote 4)
- 3. Margaret Thornber (1660-)
- 3. Ellen Thornber (1663-)
- 3. Elizabeth Thornber (1665-)
- 3. Ann Thornber (1666-)
- 3. John Thornber (1669) buried 13 May 1672 at Waddington
- 3. Mary Thornber (1671-)
- 3. Sarah (1673-)
- 3. Jane Thornber (1680-)
- 3. William Thornber, born 1676, died August 1741, farmer of Greenbank, Melling. (Footnote 1 below shows details of his will )
- + Ann Hanson married 30 December 1708 at Waddington. She was born 1676 and was buried 5 August 1731 at Waddington.
- 4. Ann Thornber, baptised 19 May 1709 and buried 24 July 1709 at Waddington
- 4. Giles Thornber, baptised on 19 November 1710 at Waddington. Lived in West Bradford, died 30 July 1775 at Greenbank, Botton, Melling and buried at St. Wilfrid's Melling, aged 64. Yeoman (see separate tree for Giles' extensive family)
- + Hannah Wilson married 30 November 1740 in St. Wilfrid CE Melling. Hannah was born about 1719 and died 19 August 1764 in Greenban, Botton, Melling and buried at Melling, aged 45.
- 4. John Thornber baptised 29 August 1714 at Waddington. Buried 11 November 1778 at Upper Bentham. He was Parish Clerk at Bentham and signed the parish registers many times up until shortly before his death in 1778 in his role as parish clerk. Details of his will are shown in footnote 2. His second wife was Elizabeth Sprote (1720-1799) whom he married on 27 November 1762 in Bentham. They had no known issue. Marriage by licence (see footnote 3) She was born about 1720 and was buried 14 January 1799 at Bentham.
- +1st Margaret Dixon (1720-1762) married in 1743 in Melling. She was born abt. 1720 and buried 6 January 1762 at Bentham.
- 5. Alice Thornber baptised 2 December 1744 at Bentham, married James Wilson, born abt. 1745 on 19 June 1773 at Bentham, witnesses William & John Thornber
- 5. William Thornber, baptised 25 January 1752 at Bentham.
- 2. William, baptised 28 October 1638 at Waddington. Buried 12 May 1698 at Waddington. Hearth tax indicates a William resident in West Bradford in 1672. He was a churchwarden at Waddington in in 1697. William and two of his children died in the spring of 1698.
- + Ann, married about 1665. She was born about 1640 and was buried on 9 May 1680 at Waddington
- 3. William Thornber, baptised 19 April 1668 at Waddington. Probably died young as not left land when his father died in 1698.
- 3. Margaret Thornber (1670-1698) buried on 17 April 1698 at Waddington
- 3. John Thornber (1672-1698) buried 12 April 1698 at Waddington (son of William and Anna in the register at his baptism)
- 3. Giles Thornber (1673-1673) buried 9 August 1673 at Waddington
- 3. Ellen Thornber baptised 1 August 1676 at Waddington, buried 27 January 1680/81 at Waddington.
- 2. Ann Thornber baptised 12 Sept 1641, Waddington
- 2. Anthony Thornber baptised 5 January 1645 at Waddington. Lived at West Bradford. Buried 2 February 1688/9 at Waddington.
+ Sarah married about 1675. She was born 1645 and was buried 30 Dec 1686 at Waddington.
- 3. Alice baptised 22 Mar 1677, Waddington
- 3. Egidius (Giles), baptised 17 Aug, 1679, Waddington. Giles, of Brookhouse Green, buried Slaidburn, 22 May 1757. Will of 26 Mar 1757 mentions wife Margaret, sons Anthony, William and Ralph and a grandson Ralph. Churchwarden in 1714 at St. Andrew's, Slaidburn. In 1701, two years before his marriage, he appears as a bachelor living at Champion in the Slaidburn court rolls when he surrendered one acre of land he had inherited from his uncle William in 1698.
- + Margretta Jackson, 6 Nov 1703, Waddington. She was the dau. of Radulphus Jackson, who mentions Giles Thornber in his will. Margretta buried 9 April 1763 Slaidburn. Note that Radulphus Jackson appears to be the origin of the Christian name Ralph in succeeding generations.
- 4. Anthony born at Stephen Moor and baptised 13 May 1705, Slaidburn, buried 28 Sept 1762, Slaidburn. (See separate tree)
- 4. Jenetta, baptised 14 Sep 1707, Slaidburn, buried 13 Jan 1729, Slaidburn.
- 4. Radulphus (Ralph), baptised 19 Feb 1710, Slaidburn. (See separate tree immediately below )
- 4. Sarah, baptised 19 Jul 1713, Slaidburn, buried 7 Feb 1729/30, Slaidburn. Father's occupation was 'linarius' at Sarah's baptism. Quoted as 'textor' in daughters' burial records.
- 4. Maria, baptised 17 Mar 1719/20, Slaidburn
- 4. William, unknown birth date but known from his father's will. William married Margaret Rudd on 23 Nov 1754 at Slaidburn. There are children of a William Thornber of Stephen Moor and Hardin bapt. at Slaidburn: John, 1753; Catherine, 1757 and William 1759 but William's will mentions only Catherine. See Footnote 5.
- 3. Sarah (1684-1684) buried 5 July 1684, Waddington
- 3. Sarah, baptised 7 Jun 1686 at Waddington and buried 3 January 1686/7 at Waddington.
- 2. John Thornber baptised 3 Sep 1648, Waddington and buried at Waddington on 2 April 1665
Footnote 1. The Will of William Thornber of Greenbank, parish of Melling, 1741 (ref: LRO WRW L)
The will was made on 8 August 1741 and proved at Richmond.
To my younger son John Thornber all my Bills and Bonds with every particular sum of money belonging thereunto, to enter upon them at my decease
To my eldest son Giles Thornber all the rest of my personal estate moveable and unmoveable, paying at six months end after the decease of each of my two sisters Ellen Thornber and Elizabeth Thornber the sum of £25 unto my son John Thornber.
I appoint my son Giles Thornber whole and sole executor
William (his W mark) Thornber
Witnesses: William Gelder, John (X) Cleminson, John Walker - sworn
[endorsed:] 5 Dec 1741 The executor abovenamed appeared personally and was sworn well and truly to execute the Will, before me Richd: Atkinson, surrogate
Bond: Giles Thornber of Greenbank, p. Melling, yeoman, and William Wilson of Roborondale in the said parish, yeoman, both county of Lancaster, are bound in the sum of £600, 5 Dec 1741 ... the condition of this obligation is that if the said Giles Thornber do well and truly execute and perform the last Will and Testament of William Thornber late [of] Greenbank, p. Melling, deceased, ... [usual form follows ...]
Footnote 2. Will of John Thornber (LRO WRW L/R623/66)
The main genealogical information comes from the following statements:
To my wife Elizabeth Thornber £35 with one bed and bedding and bed stocks and other household goods which she may have occasion for and also one clock.
To my daughter Alice Wilson £15, both which legacies of £35 and £15 aforesaid I order to be paid at the first convenience after my decease.
Likewise I give all the meal, malt and other victualling in my house which shall remain after my funeral equally betwixt my loving wife and my daughter Alice Wilson.
All the rest of my goods and chattels not before devised I order to be sold by my executor hereafter named, and after my debts and funeral expenses with the legacies above named are paid off and discharged, all the overplus I give and bequeath to my son William Thornber upon his allowing my executor to deduct out of the same £4. 17s. which my son owes me for what I borrowed and paid for him [sic].
Lastly I nominate and appoint my nephew William Thornber of Greenbank my sole executor in trust.
Will made 10 Nov 1778
[signed:] John Thornber
Witnesses: Marmaduke Bannister, Isabel Sprote, Thomas Benison
[Endorsed:] 28 Nov 1778 William Thornber, sole executor in trust, was sworn before me, Robt Hodgson, surrogate. Inventory respited - above £40.
Footnote 3. Details of Marriage Bond and Allegation for Marriage by licence of John Thornber and Elizabeth Sprote.
Marriage Bond - Archdeaconry of Richmond
Dated 21 November 1762
John Thornber, 40, marital status not stated
Occupation Parish Clerk in the Township of Bentham, Yorkshire
Elizabeth Sprote, 40, Marital Status, Widow
Footnote 4. The wife of Giles Thornber born in 1636
A Giles Thornber married Isabella in Waddington in 1659.
An Isabella wife of Giles (Egidius) was buried at Waddington on 22 Jan 1662/3 and another Isabella wife of Egidius was buried at Waddington on 2 June 1666. Neither of these women could have been producing children beyond 1666.
The evidence for Giles's wife being Ann comes from an entry in the court rolls of Slaidburn where Ann was the wife of Giles in 1669.
In the hearth tax for 1672 in the Wapentakes of East & West Staincliffe and Ewcross there were listed at Bradford West, Giles Thornebar, taxed on one hearth and William Thornborough, taxed on one hearth. These are likely to be the Egidius and Guliemus son of Egidius Thornber and Margreta Parker
Footnote 5. William Thornber of Dugdale's Farm on Stephen Moor, near Slaidburn: Will dated 1770
I am grateful to Chris Spencer for the following information derived from the will of William Thornber. By the time of the 1840s Tithe Map, Dugdale's farm had become part of Lower Stoney Bank.
The contents of the will prove that this William Thornber is the one who married Margaret Rudd of Beatrix near Newton in the year 1754 in Slaidburn. They had just one child, a daughter, Catherine Thornber, in 1757. Catherine appears to have inherited not only Dugdale's but also Lower Stony Bank and property in Settle. She married Richard Wilkinson of Hellifield at Long Preston in 1773 (a member of the King-Wilkinson family). Her widowed mother, Margaret nee Rudd, died at Hellifield in 1797 but was buried back at Slaidburn.
William's will also mentions children of his brother Anthony as William, Anthony, Ralph, Margaret, John and Giles.the eldest. This fits exactly with what we already know. Anthony had two additional daughters who had died before 1770. In all, this information allows us to clarify this part of the tree and to differentiate between this William and the one who married Alice Parker on 16 Jan 1748 at Whitewell.
The families arising from Radulphus (Ralph) Thornber in Generation 4
The descendants of William Thornber and
Adam Proctor Thornber, grandsons of Ralph, are covered
on separate pages.
I am grateful to Ian H. Burns for additional information
on Thomas Thornber, the son of Giles Thornber and his wife Mary Ann Whalley
as shown below in generation 5 in bold type. Ada Burns, the second wife of
Thomas Thornber, was the daughter of Thomas Burns, the great great grandfather
of Ian H Burns. I am grateful to Merle Thornber in Australia for the marriage
records at St. Paul's Blackburn relating the three daughters of Ralph Thornber.
I am grateful to Alison Griffin for information about her descent from John Thomas Thornber of Blackburn. Examination of census returns and my own collection of parish register entries has enabled us to link John Thomas into this tree in generation, below. See footnote 1.
- 1. Radulphus or Ralph Thornber,
buried Houghton Chapel, Tosside, Gisburn Forest,
1 May 1795, will of 17 Nov 1790 mentions wife Elizabeth, sons Giles, Thomas
& William, and a granddaughter, Agnes. (A Ralph Thornber witnessed the will of John Jackson of Sandy Sike, Forest and Parish of Gisburn, husbandman, on 21 December 1754)
- + Elizabeth Beecroft, 27 Nov 1742, by licence
at Clapham. Buried 3 Dec 1798 at Houghton Chapel, Tosside, Gisburn Forest.
- 2. Giles, bapt. 22 Sep 1745, Slaidburn, his
will of Feb 1805 mentions brothers Thomas and William and one of sons
of Thomas called Ralph. Thomas died before him so codicil added
naming Neddy Holden executor. Buried 3, March 1805, Houghton Chapel,
Tosside, no known issue. He lived at Sandy
Syke and it is believed that prayer meetings were held in his house
before the construction of the Mount Sion Independent Chapel at Sandy
Syke in 1812.
- 2. Thomas, bapt. 28 Jun 1747, Slaidburn.
Buried 13 Feb 1805, Houghton Chapel,Tosside; administration
papers show administrators as Isabella Thornber and Neddy Holden, supporting
the idea that Thomas Thornber married Isabella Holden.
- + Isabella Holden, 1 Apr 1798, Gisburn.
- 3. Elizabeth 2nd dau. born 5 May 1798, bapt.
27 May 1798, Houghton Chapel. This could be the Elizabeth Thornber,
unmarried housekeeper, aged 54, born Tosside, who appears in the 1851
census at Langcliffe. (HO107/2277 folio 274, page 23; information
from Beth Merryweather in New Zealand.)
- 3. Mary, 3rd dau. born 10 Nov 1799, bapt. 1 Dec
1799, Houghton Chapel.
- 3. Ralph 1st son, born 18 Jul 1801, bapt. 6 Sep
1801, buried 24 June 1807, at Houghton Chapel.
- 3. Emma, 4th dau. born 2 Apr 1803, bapt. 1 May
1803, Houghton Chapel.
- 3. Isabella, 5th dau. of Thomas Thornber, deceased,
born 16 Jan, bapt. 13 Feb 1805, buried 14 June 1807,Houghton
- 2. William Thornber, bapt. 26 Nov 1749,
Gisburn. He married twice. Said to be 30 at his second marriage
but this is disproved by his age at death and identity as son of Ralph
from Ralph's will. Buried Houghton Chapel, 15 May 1823, said to
be 74. His will mentions Agnes, all the children from his second wife,
except Adam who died, and two additional daughters, Ann and Betty.
- + 1st wife, Mary Downham, 23 Apr 1786,
Gisburn. Mary wife of William Thornber of Lower Brayshaw in Gisburn
Forest, buried at Giggleswick, aged 20 on 16 Oct 1787.
- 3. Agnes, bapt. 5 Jun 1786. (presumed to
be the Agnes mentioned in grandfather's will)
- + 2nd wife of William, Ann Proctor, aged
23, married on 16 Sep 1790 at Gisburn.
- 3. Ralph, bapt. 1 Sep 1793, Houghton Chapel
- + Alice Wilson married at Bolton by Bowland
on 16 May 1829. The following information on the children is
from the Blackburn census of 1851, sent to me by Sue Borthwick of
Balcombe in West Sussex, and from the registers of Houghton Chapel,
Tosside in Gisburn Forest. At 11 St. Paul's Street, Ralph was said
to be 57, born Gisburn, and Alice said to be 47, born in Grindleton.
Information from the 1841 census shown in Footnote
- 4. Ann Thornber, born 4 April 18230 dau.
of Ralph Thornber, farmer and Alice of Atkinsons, Bolton by Bowland,
baptised 13 June 1830 at Houghton Chapel, Tosside, Gisburn Forest.
- 4. Beth Thormber (sic), born 23 August 1831
dau. of Ralph Thornber, farmer and Alice of Atkinsons, Bolton
by Bowland baptised on 25 September 1831 at Houghton Chapel, Tosside,
- 4. William, born 08 July 1833, son of Ralph,
farmer, & Alice, of Hollingbank P. Blackburn, baptised 04
August 1833 at Houghton Chapel, Tosside and mentioned in 1841 & 1851
census returns with his parents and subsequently with wife Ellen in 1861, 1871 and 1881 census returns for Blackburn.
- + Ellen Harwood, cotton weaver, married 29 March 1855. (Information from Alison Griffin) Census returns show only one child (surviving) in 1861, 1871 and 1881.
- 5. John Thomas Thornber, born Blackburn 24 April 1858, Blackburn, C61, C71, C81 and when married in C91. (Information from Alison Griffin)
- + Harriet Duckworth, married 24 August 1881 mentioned in C91.
(Information from Alison Griffin)
- 6. John Thornber, born about 1887, Blackburn (C91)
- 6. William Thornber, born about 1889, Blackburn (C91)
- 6. Nellie Thornber, born 1890, Blackburn (C91)
- 4. Margaret Thornber, dau of Ralph, farmer,
& Alice, of Holling Bank, nr. Blackburn, baptised 07 June
1835 at Houghton Chapel, Tosside. There is also a record of her
baptism dau. of Ralph and Alice, of Blackburn, farmer, at Blackburn
St. Mary on 11 April 1835.
- 4. Mary, born 25 April 1837, dau. of Ralph,
farmer, & Alice, of Holling Bank, Blackburn, baptised 20 August
1837 at Houghton Chapel, Tosside and mentioned in census of 1841.
She was described as aged 24, a spinster of Paul's St, dau. of
Ralph Thornber, Hay and Stores (?) Dealer, when she married John
Haworth, aged 35, bachelor, farmer of Little Harwood, son of Dennis
Haworth, farmer on 10 February 1859 at St. Paul's Blackburn in
the presence of John Duebury and Ellen Thornber (?) There is also
a reference to Mary Thornber daughter of Ralph and Alice being
baptised at Blackburn St. Mary on 2 May 1837.
- 4. Ellen Thornber, born c. 1840/1, Blackburn.
She was described as aged 23 (?) a spinster and weaver, of St.
Paul's Street, the daughter of Ralph Thornber a farmer, when she
married Wm. Henry Sharples, 25, bachelor, joiner of New Park Street,
the son of James K. Sharples, a joiner, on 2 March 1862 at St.
- 4. Ralph Thornber, born c. 25 April 1842 son of Ralph & Alice (information from Carole Ashworth). See also
+ Ann Hargreaves, married at St. Paul's Blackburn, 8 June 1862.
- 5. Elizabeth A Thornber, born about 1863, a cotton weaver, aged 18 born Blackburn from 1881 census
- 5. Ralph Thornber, born about 1870, aged 11, cotton weaver, born Blackburn in 1881 census
- 5. Mary Ann Thornber, born about 1878, aged 3, born Blackburn in 1881 census.
- 4. Alice Mary Thornber, dau. of Ralph and
Alice baptised on 1 October 1845 at Blackburn St. Mary when said
to be born 13 October 1844. (There is a GRO reference to Alice
M. Thornber born in Blackburn in the December quarter of 1844,
reference, 21 17). Alice was described as 21, a spinster and weaver
of St. Paul's Street, daughter of Ralph Thornber, farmer, when
she married William Henry Fielding, 21, bachelor, joiner of Whalley
Range the son of Thomas Fielding, a joiner, on 3 June 1865 at
St. Paul's Blackburn.
- 3. Thomas Thornber, 2nd son, born, 31 Oct,
bapt. 22 Nov 1795, Houghton Chapel
- + Jane Taylor (bapt. c. 1799) on
4 Sep 1824, Slaidburn. Family shown in the census of 1841.
- 4. William Thornber, bapt. 21 Nov 1824, Houghton
- 4. Ann Thornber, bapt. 17 Sep 1826, Slaidburn
- 4. Thomas Thornber, bapt. 24 Aug 1828, Slaidburn
- 4. Alice Thornber, bapt. 4 Jul 1830, Slaidburn
- 4. Jane Thornber, bapt. 23 Dec 1832, Slaidburn
- 4. John Thornber, bapt. 8 Feb 1835, Slaidburn
- 4. Giles Thornber, bapt. 6 Aug 1839, Slaidburn,
died 15 Dec 1897
- + Mary Ann Walley on 11 Sep 1873,
Whitewell near Clitheroe. She was born 23 Nov 1847 and died
7 Jun 1918.
- 5. Thomas, born 1875, died
1963 in Wakefield. (Information on his family from Ian H Burns)
- + 1st wife, Elizabeth Ann Crowther,
- 6. Horace Thornber, 1902-1972
- 6. Minnie Thornber, 1905-1985
- + 2nd wife, Ada Burns, born
9 November 1878, Huddersfield, married 26 June 1907 at South
Ossett in Yorkshire and died 1963 at Wakefield.
- 6. Walter Thornber, 1909-1979
- + Dorothy Wilkinson, died 1979
- 6. Albert Thornber, 1910-1996
- + Mary Spence.
- 7. Peter Thornber
- 7. David Thornber
- 7. Anne Thornber
- 7. Allen Thornber
- 6. Stanley Thornber, born 4 September 1912. Died
in Wakefield in 2000 (information from Margaret Woodcock).
- + Nora Layton, married August 1937, Wakefield
- 7. Janet Thornber
- + Brian Fox
- 6. Elsie Thornber, 1914-1970
- + Harry Greenhough, died 1974
- 5. Mary (Polly) 1877, married Sam
Sykes. She died in 1924 in Huddersfield (information from Margaret Woodcock)
- 5. Walley James Thornber, 1879-1967
- + Ellen (Nelly) Hinchliffe
(15 Apr 1883-1961) in 1906
- 6. Minnie Thornber
- 6. Horace Thornber
- 6. Walter Thornber
- 6. Albert Thornber
- 6. Evelyn Thornber, born 1906, who married Sam
- 6. Fred Hinchliffe Thornber, born 1908 and
died in 1977.
- 6. Ralph Thornber, born 1910 and died in 1978,
married Norah Allison (information from Margaret Woodcock, the daughter of this couple)
- 6. Philip Gordon Thornber 1924-2000 (information from Margaret Woodcock)
- 5. William Thornber, 1881, married
Martha Ann Lees. He died in 1943 (Information from Margaret Woodcock)
- 5. Emma Thornber, 1883-1910
- 5. John Thornber, 1 April 1886,
- 5. Sarah Thornber, born 28 July
1888, married Louis Sykes
- 3. William Thornber,
3rd son, bapt. 1 Apr. 1798, Houghton Chapel (link to descendants in
- 3. Betty Thornber, d. of William & Ann, bapt.
9 Nov 1800, Bentham, mentioned in father's will.
- 3. Ann Thornber, d. of William & Ann, born 10 Jan,
bapt. 6 Feb 1803, at Bentham, mentioned in father's will.
- 3. Margaret Thornber, 3rd dau. born 7 Feb, bapt. 3 Mar
1805, Houghton Chapel.
- 3. Adam Thornber, born 18 Feb, bapt. 22 Mar 1807,
Houghton Chapel, buried 1811, Houghton Chapel. (said to be 7th son
but probably 7th child)
- 3. Adam Proctor Thornber,
born 28 April, bapt. 14 Jun 1812 at Houghton Chapel. (Said to be 8th
son but probably 8th child)
Merle Thornber sent me the following details of
a Ralph Thornber in the 1841 census for Blackburn at Nab Lane
Beer Seller (?)
By 1851 the family were at 11 St. Paul's Street as follows:
| Ralph Thornber
||Power Loom Weaver
||Born Bolton (by Bowland?)
||Power Loom Weaver
I am grateful to Ian H. Burns for the following information from the 1861 census, relating to the same family at 21 St. Paul's Street, Blackburn, reference RG9 Piece 3095, Folio 86 page 25, Schedule 173.
|Ralph Thornber, head married
||Gisburn Forest, Yorkshire
|Alice Thornber, wife married
|Ellen Thornber, daughter, unmarried
|Ralph Thornber, son, unmarried
|Alice Thornber, daughter, unmarried
Carole Ashworth sent me the following details relating to the Ralph shown above as aged 20 in 1861
Marriage of Ralph Thornber, aged 21, bachelor, drawer of cotton twist, of 21 St. Paul's Street, Blackburn, son of Ralph Thornber, farmer and Ann Hargreaves, aged 20, spinster, cotton winder, of 13 Eccles Street, Blackburn, daughter of John Hargreaves, Cotton Spinner on 8 June 1862 witnesses Samuel Dickinson and Alice Thornber (her mark)
Ellen Thornber, aged 23, spinster, a weaver of St. Paul's Street, daughter of Ralph Thornber, farmer, married Wm Henry Sharples aged 25, bachelor, joiner of New Park St. son of James K Sharples on 2 March 1862, witnesses were Ralph Thornber (his mark) and Ann Hargreaves.
John Thomas Thornber of Blackburn
The ancestor of Alison Griffin, John Thomas Thornber, was found in the census for 1891 at 120 Holland Street in Blackburn (Piece 3402, Folio 13 page 20
|John Thomas Thornber
||Wine & Spirit Merchant
||Blackburn (c. 1861)
|John Thornber, son,
|William Thornber, son
|Nellie Thornber, daughter
|Maggie I Marsh, niece
|Evangeline I. R. Powell
||genral domestic servant
||Lyons Heath, Herefordshire
John and Harriet married in August 1881 so they are not together in the census of that year. There may have been earlier children who have not survived. The family have not been found so far in the 1901 census. However, John Thomas was traced in the 1881 census still living with his parents.
1881 Census at 10, 11, 12, Lane Ends House and Shop, Blackburn, St. Johns Ward. Source Citation: Class RG11; Piece: 4196; Folio: 77; Page: 14; GSU Roll: 1342005
|William Thornber, head, married
||Born Yorkshire (c. 1833)
|Ellen Thornber, wife, married
||Blackburn (c. 1832)
|John Thomas Thornber, son, unmarried
|John Hall, lodger, widower
John Thomas Thornber and his parents have also been found in the 1871 census at 32 Lane Ends, Blackburn (Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4181; Folio: 71; Page:24; GSU roll: 846939.) At that time, the father, William Thornber, aged 38 was a cotton weaver as was his wife Ellen. John Thomas was then aged 12 and a scholar.
In the 1861 Census, at 44 Four Lane Ends, St. John’s ward of Blackburn (
Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 3098; Folio: 15; Page: 24; GSU roll: 543078) William and Ellen were both said to be 29 and cotton weavers, born in Blackburn and John Thomas Thornber was aged 2.
To get clues to the previous generation we need to find a William Thornber born about 1832/3 born in Blackburn, who would have been about 19 at the time of the 1851 census. Ancestry.co.uk has many transcription errors and in this case Thornber was miss-transcribed as Thomber. The appropriate record has already been shown higher up this footnote at 11 St. Paul's Street, Blackburn, where Ralph is 57 anad from Grindleton. Ideally this outline needs to be consolidated with acquisition of birth, marriage and death certificates or church records for these events.
I am grateful to Carole Ashworth for information on this family.
A birth certificate shows Ralph born 25 April 1842 at Nab Lane, son of Ralph Thornber, and Alice, formerly Wilson. Ralph was a farmer and he was the informant. Registered at Blackburn on 26 April.
A Ralph Thornber, born about this period has been found in the
1881 census for 20 Heatley Street in Blackburn as follows: (FHL Film 1342002
PRO Ref RG11 Piece 4180 Folio 57 Page 53). From the age given, the father would
be born in 1840 or 1841. The same family were found in the 1891 census at Blackburn at 116 Hancock Street on RG12/3404 p. 12. and at the same location in 1901 on RG13.3916.28
The family were found more recently in the 1871 census too (Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4172; Folio: 83; Page: 13; GSU roll: 846935.) when Ralph and Ann had two children, Elizabeth Alice, 8 and Ralph 1 at No. 9 Havelock Street, Blackburn.
|1881 Census: 20 Heatley Street
Mary A Thornber
|1891 Census: 116 Hancock Street
|(next door is Ralph's married daughter Elizabeth Alice Smith
|1901 Census 116 Hancock Street
Carole has obtained the following details from certificates.
Marriage of Ralph Thornber son of Ralph Thornber to Alice Wilson on 25 April 1842, Blackburn
Ralph son of Ralph and Alice on 25 April 1842, Blackburn.
Marriage of Ralph Thornber to Ann Hargreaves on 8 June 1862 at Blackurn
Birth of Elizabeth Alice dau of Ralph & Ann on 22 February 1862. The mother was formerly Ann Wilson. Father said to be a drawer of healds and was of 13 Eales Street.
Marriage of Elizabeth Alice to Samuel Smith on 24th March 1883 at James Street Independent Chapel, Blackburn. He was 21, a bachelor, labourer in a cotton mill, of 5 John Bright Street, son of James Smith, corn miller. She was 20, spinster and cotton weaer of 20 Heatley (?) Street. Father's name shown incorrectly as Robert Thornber, a twister in cotton but otherwise all the details fit for Elizabeth Alice Thornber.
Links to other Pages
Slaidburn Families Page 2
Slaidburn Families Page 3
Slaidburn Families Page 4
Return to Thornber Families page
© Craig Thornber, England, United Kingdom Main Site Address: