A THORNBER FAMILY IN BLACKBURN, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND
WITH A CONNECTION TO GREAT HARWOOD
I am grateful to Barbara Fox for assembling the following family group in Great Harwood. Note that Martha and Ellen were initially baptised at a Wesleyan Chapel but were baptised again on the same day in 1834 at Great Harwood, together with Rebecca, William & David. This practice was not uncommon if people changed their denomination but is more commonly seen when people switched to Methodism from Anglicanism which was the general movement in the early 19th century.
- 1. Thomas Thornber, born about 1799, died on 28 Dec 1874 in Blackburn, Lancashire (Death certificate)
Elizabeth Booth on 27 Oct 1822 in Bolton Le Moors. She was born in Edgworth and was the daughter of James Booth & Martha, formerly Haslom
- 2. Martha Thornber daughter of Thomas and Betty, born 1823, baptised at Blackburn, Clayton Street Wesleyans, 11 December 1823. The child was baptised again at Great Harwood on 5 January 1834
- 2. Ellen Thornber daughter of Thomas & Betty, born c. 1830, baptised at Blackburn Clayton St. Wesleyans, 17 March 1831. Ellen was baptised again at Great Harwood on 5 January 1834
- 2. Rebecca Thornber daughter of Thomas & Betty, born c. 1827, baptised at Great Harwood on 5 January 1834
- + Robert Corby Jones Duckworth
- 2. William Thornber son of Thomas & Betty, born c. 1825, baptised at Great Harwood 5 January 1834
- + Margaret Ellen Walmsley in Blackburn
- 2. David Thornber son of Thomas & Betty, born c. 1833, baptised at Great Harwood, 5 January 1834
- + Mary Ann Parker
- 2. Sarah Thornber daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth, born c. 1836, baptised at Blackburn Clayton Street Wesleyans 4 October 1836
- + John Howarth
- 2. Elizabeth Thornber, born 1839. Only one Elizabeth has been identified in the GRO index for 1839 and it was for the March Quarter with Volume No. 21 but an illegible page number.
- + Whittaker Bury. Emigrated to the USA
- 2. Mary Wesley Thornber, born 1843 (Blackburn Registration 21 20 in December Quarter)
Census records have been found showing two more children, Elizabeth and Maria Wesley, for whom no baptism records have been found so far. Thomas and Betty/Elizabeth Thornber appear in the census returns from 1841 to 1871, always in Blackburn. The census shows that Thomas was born in Blackburn but no suitable baptism record has been identified so far.
Return to Thornber Family List
© Craig Thornber, England, United Kingdom Main Site Address: