|St. Giles, 2015||View from the South, 2005|
|St. Chad||Norman Chancel Arch|
|Norman Arch to Chancel Door||North Arcade, 2015|
|Norman font on Easter Sunday 2006||East Window|
|List of ministers behind font||The church before restoration|
|The War Memorial is inside the porch of the church|
St. Giles' at Marston Mongomery has a mixture of styles. The nave, north aisle and the bellcote date from the restoration between 1875 and 1877. The north arcade was then opened, the arches having been blocked when the original north aisle was demolished in the late 17th century. The window in the west wall of the tower, beneath the clock is Norman. There is also a Norman priest's doorway, shown above, that formerly led into the south side of the chancel. The font and chancel arch are Norman but Arthur Mee suspected that the arch was Saxon and one of the oldest in the county. The window in the south wall of the nave and chancel windows are late 13th century. A notice in the church explains that Marston Montgomery is so named to distinguish it from Marston-on-the-Dove. In the Norman period, the Montgomery family established their seat and church at nearby Cubley but the church at Marston Mongomery is more ancient and may be the one mentioned at the time of the Domesday Survey. The Montgomery family died out in the 16th century. The list of ministers displayed in the church goes back to Henry de Marchinton who succeeded Robert de Montgomery in 1308.
Behind the font in the lower picture you can see on the wall old photographs of the church before the 1875 restoration. I reproduce one at the lower right. Note how the south wall leans out. This can still be observed inside the church. The wall is now supported by a buttress and has a porch. The old west door can also be seen.
The Buildings of England, Derbyshire, by Nikolaus Pevsner, revised by Elizabeth Williamson, Yale University Press, 2002, ISBN 0-300-09591-0
Notices in the church
The King's England, Derbyshire, by Arthur Mee, first published in 1937, 6th impression 1951