Hartington is much favoured by walkers and as a result has more catering for visitors than its size would otherwise justify. Its reputation is well deserved as a walking centre as one can explore a section of the Dove as it runs through Beresford Dale. It was in this area that Charles Cotton built a one-room fishing house in 1674, and where he and Isaak Walton, author of The Complete Angler, stayed while enjoying the river. Hartington Hall was built in 1611 by Robert Bateman, who was born in the village in 1561. He became a London merchant. One of his sons became Lord Mayor of London and another was knighted by Charles II.
The church of St. Giles is cruciform and built in red sandstone; it dates mainly from the 14th century. The south transept has a west aisle with octagonal columns and 14th century capitals. Above the two storey porch is a sundial with the inscription So marches the God of day.
There are some stones with Saxon carvings built into the fabric of the church including one with knotwork in the north transept. The stone effigy of a woman is thought to be Margaret de Ferrers, one time lady of the manor. Parts of 17th century wall paintings are visible in the nave and south transept. They depict Royal Coats of Arms, biblical texts, the Apostles creed and symbols of the 12 tribes of Israel. The latter emblems are now shown on panels high on the east wall of the south transept. A board in the church shows the names of ministers from Alexander de Wighton, appointed in 1298.
|St. Giles||View from the South|
|The tower||The Chancel and East Window|
|Porch & Sundial||View across the nave to the North Transept|
|East End||Village centre|
|Octagonal font||Market Hall of 1836|
|Hartington Hall now a Youth Hostel||Village scene|
The King's England, Derbyshire, by Arthur Mee, first published by Hodder & Stoughton in 1937, 6th impression February 1951.
The Buildings of England, Derbyshire by Nikolaus Pevsner, revised by Elilzabeth Williamson, first published by Penguin in 1953, Yale University Press edition, 2002.