|The Red Lion at Withington|
|Methodist Chapel, June 2015|
The first two pictures were taken on a walk round Lower Withington in January 2003. It was bright winter's day when the sun was low in the sky, casting long shadows. Withington Hall is set in extensive grounds where the extraction of diatomaceous earth is undertaken. It can be seen across the lake from a public footpath. The current hall was built in the last few years on the site of an earlier hall and does not feature in Pevsner's work on Cheshire. Treuhertz and de Figueirodo mention the original hall, now demolished. It is described as made up of two houses joined together - one of brick dating from the middle of the 18th century and a stuccoed house built for John Baskervyle Glegg about 1795. This hall was demolished in 1963 to be replaced by one built by Mr. A. E. Crosby. This has now also been demolished and replaced by the house shown in the photograph.
Cheshire Country Houses by Peter de Figueiredo and Julian Truhertz, Phillimore, 1988, ISBN 0 85033655 4