|The Swan and Chequers, April 2015||Fountain|
|Town Hall, April 2015||The Lower Chequer|
|Literary Institute, April 2015||Savings Bank, April 2015|
|The Old Black Bear Inn, dated 1634||House dated 1570|
|The row below the church in evening light||As left but from the south in morning light|
|Old Hall Hotel||West end of Old Hall Hotel|
|Alms Houses, 2015||Plaque on Alms Houses, April 2015|
The fountain with its Tuscan Columns, in High Town Square dates from 1897 and was designed by Thomas Bower. The Literary Institute of 1857 is by Sir Gilbert Scott. The Savings bank, just to the right of it, might also be by Scott and dates from 1854.
The Town Hall foundation stone was laid on 2 July 1889. It was designed by Thomas Bower of Nantwich and built by John Stringer of Sandbach. The site was given by the Rt. Hon. Hungerford Lord Crewe. Just to the left of the town hall is the market hall. Below the church on the east side there is a very deeply cut street running north south and further east again an attractive row of houses running down towards the east. On the opposite side of the road and at a much higher level is the Old Hall Hotel, which dates in part from 1656.
The brick built alms houses date from 1856-7. There are four groups each with three gables.
The Buildings of England, Cheshire, by Nikolaus Pevsner and Edward Hubbard, Yale University Press, 2003, ISBN 0 300 09588 0