|The folly from the South in 2013|
|The folly from the South, 2003||View from the West, 2003|
|Closer view from the South, 2003||The Church of St. Thomas, 2003|
|St. Thomas' in April 2015||St. Thomas' in April 2015|
Mow Cop is on the boundary of Cheshire and Staffordshire. It is one of the highest points in Cheshire and affords a view across the county into Shropshire, Wales, Merseyside and Greater Manchester. The church of St. Thomas dates from 1841-1 and lies on the Staffordshire side of the boundary. It was a Commissioners' church and cost £1,665. The church is difficult to photograph becauses of the trees close to the south side but the ones in 2015 were taken with a wide-angle lens which allowed closer approach.
The folly on top of the hill lies in Cheshire. It was built in 1754 to provide a romantic view from Rode Hall.
Mow Cop is important in the history of Primitive Methodism. Hugh Bourne, a wheelwright from Stoke on Trent organised his first camp meeting at Mow Cop in 1807 and this led to the foundation of the movement. He lived to see 5000 Primitive Methodist chapels built with a total membership of 100,000. Hugh Bourne is buried at Englesea Brook in Chehire.
When Mow Cop was given to the National Trust in 1937, ten thousand Methodists attended the ceremony.