GOOSTREY

Grid Ref. SJ 779 700
18 June 2005 & 10 June 2015

 

 

Goostrey Church
St. Lukes, Goostrey in June 2015

 

Nave spacer West Gallery
The Nave and the Apse   West Gallery and Organ
Church   Window
North side of nave at East End   South side of nave at East End
Font   War Memorial
The 15th century font in 2005   Detail of War Memorial in the churchyard

 

The church of St. Luke at Goostrey presents a very utilitarian face of red brick with little decoration. It is not easy to photograph from the south side as it is in the shade of large evergreens. My first photograph was taken at about midday in the middle of June.

There has been a church at Goostrey since at least 1244. It is known that in 1617 it was of black and white Cheshire design with a nave and a south chapel belonging to the Booths of Twemlow. In that year Henry Mainwaring of Carincham (now Kermincham) was given permission to build an aisle on the north side of the chancel and Thomas Baskerville of Old Withington and John Kinsey of Blackdehn were allowed to do the same on the south side. Later, in 1667, Edmund Jodrell of Twemlow was allowed to erect a chapel on the south side between the porch and the aisle of John Booth. However, in 1792 the old church was pulled down and the present one built. It has a plain rectangular shape with the chancel as an apse in the East Wall.  It was built for £1,700 to a plan by the local bricksetter. The church has a west gallery and a fifteenth century octagonal font.

There are monuments to several Cheshire gentry families including Baskerville Glegg, Jodrell and Kinsey.

The list of clergy goes back to 1220 and the parish registers date from 1561.  Among the vicars were John Armitstead (1809-1814), John Richard Armitstead (1859-1860), William George Armitstead (1860-1907) and Edward Armitstead (1907-1923)

Source:

Old Cheshire Churches, with a supplementary survey of the lesser old chapels of Cheshire, completely revised and enlarged by Raymond Richards, first published in 1947 and reprinted by E. J. Morten, Didsbury, 1973.

 

index button

Cheshire Antiquities
© Craig Thornber, Cheshire, England, UK.  Main Site Address: http://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0Strict W3C CSS